Saturday, December 15, 2012

to begin

I've always toyed with the idea of documenting the things I make (and the process, thoughts, and feelings behind them) online. I've just never really gotten down to it, choosing to spend time on making things. I've also been slightly afraid to put my work out there, because I am afraid of criticism.

But two nights ago I read The Way of the Aficionodo, where the author challenges her readers to "take something you[they] love and share it with the world", for 30 days, "whether by creating a blog, posting on forums, creating a Facebook group, setting up meetings, taking and uploading photographs, writing reviews, or anything else".

Her reason? "Your passions and interests help you to share. To contribute. To make a difference. To build a better world. No matter who you are, no matter what your circumstances or position, you have something to give...Don’t just consume, produce. Create value. Make something, produce something. Get out there, communicate, have fun."

Also, one of the lessons the people in this cyber world have taught me is to be unafraid of criticism.
Strange, how I learn such lessons from the internet. Still, it is a valuable lesson, and I put my work out here in the hopes that the critique/criticism/feedback will help me grow.

So, I have taken up this challenge, and hope that it will last beyond 30 days. Making things has been something I've felt called to for as long as I can remember; it is not a bandwagon I have jumped on, neither is it one of my many short-lived interests. I will probably not post regularly, given that school begins in two weeks, but I'll see how it goes, and do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment